Fame precedes citronella. Its intense and lemony aroma is highly valued in cosmetic products and is effective as a mosquito repellent. But in addition, it has a very pleasant flavor that also serves to sweeten. This perennial grass, from which the bulb and about five centimeters of the peeled stem are consumed, cannot be missing in your urban garden.
For this reason, the Bouquet florist has advised us on the basic care of citronella, also known as lemongrass or lemongrass. Take note and let the mosquitoes tremble!
HOW TO GROW CITRONELLA PLANT
This outdoor plant has antiseptic, fungicidal, and astringent properties. It is native to southern India and its cultivation is very widespread in the warm and tropical regions of Asia, seeking the direct sun.
- Cold. It supports it well but be careful that it never drops below 0ºC as a frost could kill it.
- Garden . Place it near bushes or in sheltered places to protect it from the cold.
- Height . It grows like a bush and can reach 1.5 meters.
- Flowerpot. You can move it according to the season. In spring it will be fine on the balcony while in autumn it will appreciate the interior, always with a lot of suns.
- Seeds. If you want to start from scratch, you must do it between March and July.
- Petunia. basic care guide to show off your balcony
WHEN TO WATER THE CITRONELLA PLANT
Watering citronella should be regular and frequent, especially in hot months. However, you should not overdo it with the water as the roots could rot.
HOW TO PAY CITRONELLA PLANT
It is recommended to use a universal fertilizer and follow the manufacturer’s instructions . It is always better to stay short than going too far, as too much compost could burn the plant.
Varieties. The most famous repellants are Cymbopogon nardus, Cymbopogon winterianus, and Cymbopogon citratus.
Poda. Its flowering is in summer so take advantage of the autumn to remove the dry leaves and prune the weakest parts.
Now that you know how to care for citronella, you just have to take it home. A curiosity? The Cymbopogon citratus variety is the one with the highest oil content compared to the others, being higher in the hot months.